Tuesday 13 August 2013

The Student Becomes a Teacher...

Goodness where do I even begin? Today started off rainy and early. I got up earlier to finish off a few last minute things for my classroom. We went to staff worship at 7:30, with most if not all of us feeling nervous. We sang, had a worship thought, and said a much needed prayer. When I got to my classroom, I had a class list posted on my door. It said I had 10 kids. Oh okay no big deal. Only 2 more added from what they told me yesterday. I shuffled some desks around and let the kids come in the classroom. But more than 10 kids came in: I had 13! I was NOT prepared for this! I had only made 10 copies because I had thought that I only had 8 kids! I had to ask my assistant to make 5 more copies of what I needed because I didn’t have enough!

The first 20 minutes, I am not going to lie, I felt like crying. I leaned against my desk, said a short prayer, asking God to please help me. Most of my lesson plans went out the window. I didn’t really have a plan anymore because of the lack of materials and the workbooks that were supposed to come in today, did not. About 5 mothers were in the classroom to be with their children. This I found, did not help the children be more productive. In fact, they were so distracted, they did not pay very much attention to me. I was quite frustrated. I know some children have some attachment issues, but the mothers could at least wait outside the door on the bench or something. I really prayed for patience. A little boy especially would not listen to what I was saying at all! And another little boy did not say a word to me the WHOLE DAY!

 I really do love children, but I have got to say it is a lot different being their teacher rather than their babysitter. The kids in my class are very cute though. Especially these two girls named Haylee and Summer. SO ADORABLE! The children don’t call me “miss” like other children do for their teachers, rather they call me “teacher”. So allllllllll day I hear “Teacher, Teacher! Look!” or “Teacher, Teacher!” with a tug on my skirt. So cute but I didn’t get to sit down all day! What’s the point of even having a teacher’s desk? For recess, we went out to the playground and played because at least 4 classes were in the gym and my little Kindergartners were going to get trampled! Part way through snack time, my principal ran in asking why I wasn’t teaching my computer class. Whaaaaaaaat?? I didn’t know I was teaching it today! It’s a half day! He never told me! And the syllabi that I asked to be printed out for my classes had not been and so that made me 20 minutes late for my first computer class. Quite frustrating. I feel like I might be a boring high school teacher…

We had a quick staff meeting after announcements with the whole school in the gym to see how everyone’s days went. Sounded like everyone had a little frustration, but things will get better in time I think. Tonight we had supper with all the SMs and after cleanup, had a group Bible study with all of us. It was really great to get together and pray and talk about the Bible and our thoughts. I’m very excited to have a group of SMs that are as excited about Jesus as I am. About 98% of the children who go here are not even Adventist. Karyn, who is teaching 3rd grade, did her worship today at the beginning of class and asked for prayer requests and if anyone wanted to pray. A child raised his hand and said: “But Miss, I don’t even know how to pray.” Wow! This really reminded us that we are here to help teach the kids not only educational subjects, but about Jesus! How great is that? After Bible study, I went to my classroom to grab my crayons. I took Riley with me because quite frankly, the classrooms are quite creepy at night. On the way there, a huge frog jumped right next to me! I panicked, as you can imagine, and pretty much jumped on Riley! Goodness I get scared so easily. There is also a mouse in my classroom. I’m quite scared that thing is going to pop out when I am all alone in the classroom! I helped Riley decorate some of his classroom because he helped me so much with mine.


Well it is definitely bedtime for me! Have a good day ya’ll!

No comments:

Post a Comment