Saturday 10 August 2013

Happy Sabbath to all of you! It was a VERY hot Sabbath here in Pohnpei. Of all the days for the electricity to not work in any of the churches! We all went to our host churches today. We got down to the meeting place in front of the apartments at 9 am like they told us, yet those of us going to Kitti and another church waited behind until about 9:45 to leave. Talk about island time! Roy drove Zach, Riley, Danny, and I to the Kitti church. We got there late, as you can imagine so we only got to go to part of Sabbath School. In the church, we noticed none of the fans were working. A church member said the electricity was out. Awh man. It was HOT. We didn’t have any papers or anything to fan ourselves, so a man in front of us handed us a kindergarten take home paper.

There was an adorable little girl in front of us who kept turning around and looking at us. I tried speaking to her in English, but her sister said she didn’t understand. So I made her some paper things about of my sticky notes and she seemed pretty happy about it! She even fanned me once or twice with her woven fan (which I really want one). The entire church service was in Pohnpeian. So of course, we didn’t understand any of it. I now know 2 phrases and one word in their language. I know Good morning, happy Sabbath, and dog. Haha. Not much, but it’s a difficult language! Plus, they encourage the children to talk in English.

We all made lunch back at our own apartments and then just chilled for a couple hours. At 4, we went on a hike. And by hike I mean a HIKE. It was super steep and long! Okay maybe it only felt really long because it was so steep. The view was definitely worth it though. It was beautiful! We could see a lot of the island, the small surrounding ones, and the airport that we came in on! We got to see a small plane come in too! Apparently this airport is one of the hardest landing strips to land on in the world because of the huge rock cliffs nearby. The ride back down in the truck from our starting point was fun. It was hard for the trucks to make it up the hill! I’m actually surprised we made it. One of our tires was going flat!

After we got back, some of us went out to eat. I got some delicious guava nectar and some onion rings. Greasiest onion rings I’ve ever had! I really miss the Iceburg ones! (If you’re a Walla Wallaian you’ll understand). Some people enjoyed some delicious cheese burgers. When we got back, there was gym night going on. I’ve never been to such a hectic game night! There was volleyball and basketball and people were everywhere! I played volleyball for a little bit but I was pretty tired so I left after a while.

I hope you all have a fantastic day! J


No comments:

Post a Comment