Tuesday 27 August 2013

The Busy Days of a Teacher

Wow! I have gotten pretty bad at blogging. I never have time! Things have gotten super busy! Sunday was a nice day. I got to sleep in until 7:30! Woohoo! I worked on planning out some class activities and assignments and then at 1:30, most of us went swimming at a place with a rope swing. Super fun! And the river had higher rocks so it was slightly dammed up so it was nice to just sit and get a sort of massage from the rushing water. J The evangelistic meetings started on Sunday night. Franky told us to meet at 6:45 downstairs so we can leave for the Kolonia church. Yeah we left around 7:45. I am really not fond of this whole island time nonsense. Not ok! When we finally got to the church, they had not even started! And for some reason, they decided that they wouldn’t start the actual meetings that night, so they had a little meeting about the meetings that were coming up.

Monday started off bright and early as usual.  Morning has been coming way too early lately! In college I would always stay up till around 12 or so and wake up at 6:30 am, but now going to bed and waking up at the same time is just TERRIBLE! Ever since I made the desks in my classroom into a circle, it’s been easier to get around to everyone to see how they are doing and help them. Every time a kids finishes their assignment or wants to show me their progress, they yell “Teacher teacher!!” Oh goodness it drives me up the wall! A kid does one problem or one letter and wants to show me. I’m working on them raising their hands for questions WITHOUT having them yell for teacher. Needless to say, it’s a work in progress. So my kids EJ, who has never spoken a word to me, has finally started to nod his head! It’s very exciting!! But every time I catch him laughing or smiling and he sees looking at him, he immediately pinches his lips together and gets all serious. It’s kind of sad because he never really plays with other kids in general since he is so shy. I really want him to like me and talk to me. I’m hoping by the end of this week to get a single word out of him! We started week of prayer this week and it is pre k-6th grade. The meeting went on SO long! It went 20 minutes over! My poor kids were so antsy and it was way past their snack time. I felt really bad for them! I started to lose my voice on Monday, and talking constantly to the children really wears and tears on my voice! We had to finish our blue books by that afternoon and while looking through the final, official roster that I had just gotten, I noticed that two of my kids have been spelling their names wrong this whole time!! Now that has to be fixed….

Tuesday morning, I could barely talk. I was hoping that my assistant would be there first thing in the morning so she could do the singing and worship, but she was helping pre school for a few minutes until the teacher arrived. Singing and trying to quiet down 13 kindergarteners did not work very well. By the end of the day, my voice was absolutely killing me. They sort of assumed that since their teacher could not talk very loud and tell them to be quiet, they could be louder than usual. Yeah it was a rough day. Chapel AGAIN went over at least 20 minutes and again, my kids were getting really antsy. 60 minutes was a long time for the kids to be in one place! Poor Haylee was just so tired she came and sat on my lap for most of the service. As soon as we got back into the classroom, the kids ran to wash their hands and quickly grabbed their snacks. They could hardly wait for me to pray for the food! I didn’t talk very much the rest of the day because my voice hurt so much so I didn’t even try to help with boy’s P.E. Instead, I scrubbed the apartment shower with bleach and a wirey brush. It looks SO much better!! Since my grading only took about an hour, I helped 2nd and 6th grade out with some grading. I have to say, I like grading that kind of work better than We had another meeting that night which of course, we were late for. It’s never our fault though! We were ready to go at 6:45, didn’t leave till about 7:15. Anyway my voice in completely gone today! Pray for me!!


Have a fantastic day!!

1 comment:

  1. "Teecha! Teecha! Teecha!" I definitely feel you there! Glad to hear things are going good. If you have time, shoot over to your neighbor island of Kosrae! :D

    ReplyDelete