Monday 23 September 2013

Skeeters, Pumpkin Farmers, and Sleepless Nights

A weekend of island camping! A few days where we can catch up on sleep and relax! Goodness was I wrong. We packed up all of our stuff on Friday and left around 4 in the truck, with the boat being hauled behind us. We got to the water, unloaded the boat and we figured since there was so much stuff and so many people, we would make 2 trips. Nope. We somehow fit everything and everyone in the small boat! We got to the island in about twice the amount of time it really needed to take because we were super low in the water with all the weight. We got to the island, which was called Black Coral and unloaded everything. This little island was about the size of a football field and had some little huts all around the island. Everybody started to set up their hammocks in various trees. Now I was not well prepared coming to Pohnpei since I had so little time to prepare and bought a hammock that had no rope and totally forgot a tarp. So Pastor Tim helped me rope up my hammock and when it came time to go to sleep, it started to sprinkle. So I took my sheet and went and slept on the wood floor of a hut. Needless to say, I barely slept that night. But, it was cool to see the tide go in and out!

Before going to bed, I sat at the cement dock and watched the ocean. It was so beautiful! The waves, the moon trying to peek out from behind the clouds, the peacefulness. I could see God all around me and it was amazing! The next morning, we were all pretty tired since he hadn’t slept very well. We had breakfast, worship, and then the rest of the day to do as we like. We went snorkeling and saw some beautiful fish and sea cucumbers! I didn’t get to see any reef sharks sadly, but some people did! After snorkeling, Jen and I made some soup for lunch. It was pretty good! The Edwards came in the afternoon, and everyone just chilled and hung out in their hammocks. My hammock got moved by one of the boys under some trees that had more covering and it was about 6 ½ feet off the ground, above Riley’s hammock. Getting in was a challenge but it was nice being up so high. As I was talking with people and swaying gently in the hammock I suddenly see and hear one of the ropes holding up my hammock snap. I look down and Riley, say “Uh-oh.” And the next moment, the all the ropes snapped sending me straight to the ground. I was laughing so hard and so were the other people and as I get up, we found that I landed so hard on my butt, it left a print in the sand! I went to Pastor Tim and asked if he could tie up the hammock for me. He scolded me for not asking him to retie the ropes and added some extra rope so I wouldn’t be falling out again.

We had a sundown worship at the dock and then started to prepare dinner. The Edwards had brought a case of chicken and whoever wanted to eat some pitched in some money. Franky barbequed all of it and all the non vegetarians were very happy to get some! Jen and I, being vegetarian, made ourselves some biscuits and delicious baked potatoes over the fire. I did try some chicken though. It wasn’t really gross tasting, just kind of weird and definitely not good enough to convert me to omnivorism! We went to bed fairly early that night, around 9:30ish because we were all so tired from not sleeping the night before. Now I had gotten bit a whole bunch by mosquitos the night and day before. It was crazy! I had at least 20 bites on my arms, legs, and face. So Riley offered me his hammock which had a zipper with mesh to keep out the bugs. (I still got bit because there were bugs inside when I closed it.)  But around 2 am, after a couple hours of dozing in and out, I woke up to rain. Not just a drizzle, but an actual rain fall. I looked up and saw Riley look down at me. We both got down from our hammocks and sat next to Roy’s hammock under the tarp. We soon found that everyone was awake and we started talking. After a few minutes though, we also found that the people under the tarp were getting wet too. Tired and just really wanting some sleep, we all went to go find a hut to sleep in. We found one and all laid down on the floor. But still, after an hour, sleep alluded us. So we decided to go back to our hammocks since the rain had died down a bunch. Riley’s and I’s hammocks were soaked though, so everyone else got in their hammocks, and we laid down on the sand under the tarps by Roy’s hammock. We got no sleep. I don’t think anyone really did. Roy and Riley started a conversation about starting a pumpkin farm in Alaska after college since they grow really well there apparently. The farm would be called King and Drusky. Oh man we were so tired. Haha! Roy, Riley, and I got up and went to the dock to watch the sunrise. Despite all the clouds, it was really pretty. J

We were all exhausted that day and just really wanted to head back to Pohnpei to shower and do stuff, but, we had to wait for the tide to come back in. So until noon, I took a nap, packed up, and played some volleyball. I got to go on the first trip of people going back, along with Jen, Riley, Roy, Jonathan, Kaylie, Caleb, and Danny. We were excited to get back to school and get stuff done! On the way back, it started to rain pretty hard. As we were driving along, we heard a tire pop. Just great… We pulled over to see that the tire was definitely not flat and fantastically, we had no spare. So some people started walking toward the school so we could find someone to bring a spare. But they stopped at a Latter Day Saints church and they drove them over to the school since it was still a long ways off. While they were gone, some Kitti church members saw us on the road, pulled over, and asked if we needed help. They took Jonathan, Jen, Kaylie, and I back to the school while Riley and Roy stayed behind with the van. We were soaking wet when we got back but so happy to be back. Danny finally found someone to go help Riley and Roy and soon everyone, including the other group was back. Showering and getting all the salt water off of us was so amazing! I felt fantastic after that!


Monday was a pretty good day. My kids weren’t acting up a lot like usual and my high school classes were pretty chill. I made a delicious yellow cake with chocolate chips and chocolate frosting because well, I can! It was really good! Now I am working on stuff for classes. Another week is in progress! Have a good day everyone! J


No comments:

Post a Comment