Wednesday 29 January 2014

My Story.

My class supports WWU!
Every year at WWU, we have a dedication vespers for student missionaries heading out the next school year. Watching almost 90 students, a lot of them my friends, go down the aisles, and listening to the stories from past SMs, I felt a tugging at my heart. I thought to myself, “Wow, that would be really cool to go to those places and do all those things!” But, I pushed down the feeling almost as quickly as it had come to me. I didn’t want to go anywhere next year. I would finish my schooling in the next three years, and be done. I didn’t have time for that.

A few weeks later, with only about 4 weeks left in spring quarter, I get a call from my parents saying that they were coming up to Walla Walla to talk to me about something. I honestly had no idea what they had to talk to me about. As we sat in the girl’s dorm lobby, my parents explained to me that they didn’t have enough money to send me to WWU the next year. They needed a year to save some money for me to continue on. They suggested that I go SMing next year. “No.” I replied. “No I don’t want to!”

Snack time! Maximus, my new student.
 The next couple of days were sort of a blur. I went to the financial aid office to talk to a lady who could always dig up money for students somehow. We talked for a while and I found that there was really not much we could do except find some scholarships. I thought maybe I could work for a year to earn money for school the next year. No, I would lose my scholarships and have to start paying loans. Attending a different school would not work because I would lose my scholarships when I came back to WWU. Finally after a few days I trudged over to the Student Missions office to see what was going on over there. I was greeted with excitement and Jeanne was the most helpful person in the world to talk to. She talked to me about how wonderful it was to be a missionary and told me to talk to some other people that have gone. She showed me what places I could go on such short notice. I wanted to go to a Spanish speaking country so I could practice my Spanish but I would need a visa and it was too late for that. We looked at the islands and after talking to some people, I decided on Pohnpei or Palau. I applied for Kindergarten and other random grades in elementary for Pohnpei and after about 2 or 3 weeks, I got accepted to be the Kindergarten teacher in Pohnpei. At that point, I was getting somewhat excited to go be a missionary.

I spent 6 weeks after school was out for the summer, in Spain studying abroad. A mere nine hours after arriving home in Oregon from Europe, I was on my way to Hawaii for orientation. As I went to the meetings, I was amazed by how many people were there. There were dozens of people around my age dedicating a year of their lives to serve others. WWU alone sent out around 90 people and Southern has a number close to that.

This year has been one of, if not the toughest year of my life. However, the past 6 months that I have been here have been the most amazing months I have ever experienced. Sure, I experience a lot of hardships. Some days I just can’t help but cry because I am so frustrated. I’m trying to teach 4, 5, and 6 year olds how to read in their second language when many of them don’t even understand everything I am saying! I’m tired of sweating almost constantly, and having giant cockroaches pop out of nowhere and scurry across the floor. But, right now there is no place I would rather be than Pohnpei, Micronesia. Becoming a student missionary may not have been something that I wanted to do, but now I am so incredibly glad that God led me in this direction. I have made life long friends, and experienced things that have helped me trust and depend on God more. God really knew what He was doing when He sent me here. A week before coming here I was told that I would be teaching 1st grade instead of Kindergarten. Then it got changed back to Kindergarten when I got here at the school. Since Kindergarten only goes until noon, I teach three high school classes in the afternoon. God knew that I wouldn’t be able to handle 1st graders all day, so He gave me both little children and high schoolers. I couldn’t have asked for a better arrangement!

God has my future all planned out. Sometimes it’s frustrating not knowing what is ahead in our lives, but we need to learn to rely on God to lead us in the right direction. It sometimes feels like God is taking my hand and leading me down a pitch black pathway. Sometimes I shake off His hand because I want to go my own way and I end up tripping and falling. Yet God is always there to pick me up right back up and take my hand again to lead me in the right direction. That is something I struggle with everyday. I try to take matters into my own hands, and sometimes I get impatient and try to go ahead of myself. One of Jen’s favorite verses in the Bible is this:

“God, the one and only-I’ll wait as long as he says. Everything I need comes from him, so why not? He’s solid rock under my feet, breathing room for my soul, and impregnable castle: I’m set for life.”
Psalm 62:1-2 MSG

Amazing friends!
If any of you reading this and are considering becoming a student missionary, please talk to me! I would love to answer any questions or concerns you might have.  Becoming a student missionary is one of the best things that have ever happened in my life. I have no regrets whatsoever coming here!

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Jeremiah 29:11

“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely, I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Matthew 28:19-20

Here are some other great blogs to follow. Jen and Karyn are both here with me!

jwrate.tumblr.com

overseasunderskies.tumblr.com

Thank you for all your prayers and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment